Tuesday, March 6, 2012

HOORAY! Accepted into a festival in Berlin, Germany.

Ah, fame!  Ah, a little recognition for all the work I've been doing.

It feels nice.

The Black International Cinema festival of Berlin (Germany) has accepted A Zest for Life as part of its upcoming festival (May 2-6).  Do I plan to attend?  You bet I do.  After all, I'm in Spain and Germany is not all THAT far away.

That's not the only good news I have for A Zest for Life.  The material I've been waiting for all these months finally arrived.  I only needed about 30 seconds of it for the documentary, but these are important 30 seconds.  They give the documentary a balance I wanted, plus more of the Peruvian coastal countryside (where most Afro-Peruvians live).

A checo on the vine.

And even more importantly, one section of the video clip I used shows fine, and well-known, Afro-Peruvian percussionists playing the checo, an Afro-Peruvian percussion instrument made out of a gourd.

Now, you probably don't know all that much about the checo, but that's part of the point.  After watching A Zest for Life, you WILL know what the checo is and how to use it.



SO--thanks to the Museo Afroperuano de Zaña (and Sonia Arteaga), thanks to 1 Frame Producciones (and Gisella Burgo Polo plus Javier Exposito Martin), and thanks to the Black International Cinema festival in Berlin.

OUR NEXT POST will be about...things I've learned about documentaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment