Saturday, April 21, 2012

More zapateo--thanks to Kevin

Kevin of Canada (I'm not sure exactly where he lives in Canada, but no matter) kindly sent me the link to the video below.  It has some cool zapateo, lando, and other performance by an Afro-Peruvian group in Peru.  There's lots of good cajon, a very personable group leader who sings with enthusiasm, and a fine, traditional guitar accompaniment.



In the meantime, I remain surprised at how few people know about the Peruvian cajon, how few of those who DO know understand that the Peruvian cajon came from Afro-Peruvians, and how few people know that the cajon now used in flamenco came into flamenco when an Afro-Peruvian group called Peru Negro toured in Spain and introduced the cajon to flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia.

I am now officially telling you these things.  So now YOU know.

In the meantime, Ivan Tellez (who is helping me out in California while I'm in Spain) reports to me that he's played our CD of the musical track from A Zest for Life in several clubs in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the response has been very positive.  (The CD is called "de Rompe y Raja with Lalo Izquierdo:  A Zest for Life Musical Track.")  In addition, a number of stores in the Bay Area will soon be carrying the CD. 

Nice.

OUR NEXT BLOG will be about my trip to Berlin for the Black International Cinema festival.





No comments:

Post a Comment